The Field Radio Podcast is dedicated to exploring the amateur radio hobby through the lens of getting you and your gear outdoors. Your host, John W7DBO, will explore what gear works best, how to deploy in the field, and most importantly how to have fun! The podcast will also explore what you can do with your gear once deployed; Including emergency communications, contesting, event support, and of course Field Day.
Field Radio: 1 Introductions
- In this episode we catch up with Cale (K4CDN) the progenitor of all things Ham Radio 360.
- Chris Fielding (KG7IVS) a friend and fellow field operator tells us about his field radio portable setup and an interesting DX contact he got while at scout camp.
- Tip and Trick Segment-Spare Tape in the field
- Training Segment-4 Keys to Successful Communications
Field Radio: 2 SSTV via the ISS
- Many ham radio operators spent time over the July 20th weekend as the International Space Station commemorated its 20th Anniversary by transmitting 12 different images via SSTV (Slow Scan TV).
- In this episode, we chat with 3 of them. Galen Wilson (KF5BET) and his two daughters Abbi (KF5BEW) & Kendra (KF5FYS) set out to chase the ISS over the weekend from Southwestern Louisiana. Listen in as they discuss their successful adventure!
- Tips and Tricks-WAGO 221 Review
- Training Segment- Reasonable Redundancy
Field Radio: 3 VHF/UHF Radio in the Field
- In this episode of the field Radio Podcast we’re joined by David Goldenburg (W0DHG) to discuss selecting a VHF/UHF mobile radio for field portable use and other related items for field radio operations.
- We continue our build of the VHF/UHF Voice & Digital Go-Box.
- Tip and Trick Segment-Weaver Throw Rope/Weight
- Training Segment-Preparing your Equipment for Deployment
Field Radio: 4 Solar Eclipse from the Field
- The United States recently experienced a unique total solar eclipse from coast to coast. A little Field Day, a little science experiment, a little emergency communications, and being good will ambassador for the hobby evolved around the Eclipse.
- Finally, we complete the VHF/UHF Go Box build and put it in the field.
- Training Segment- EmerPrep while on Vacation
Field Radio: 5 HF Radio for the Field
- In this Episode of the Field Radio Podcast John and Chris discuss getting out in the field with HF radio. Evaluating radio’s, antenna’s, batteries, and solar panels.
- Adding to the VHF/UHF GoBox with a second radio
- Training item on first steps in a disaster training item.
Field Radio: 6 Bicycle Race Comms Support
- Kevin Reeve, N7RXE, is instrumental in Amateur Radio Operational Support of the LOTOJA Classic Bike Race. In this episode of the Field Radio Podcast Kevin gives us a look into the organization and coordination of event communications.
- This event spans over 200 miles, three states, multiple public safety jurisdictions, 4 net controls, 8 repeaters including mobile repeaters, APRS iGates, Portable Digipeaters, 135 operators, and 40 vehicles beaconing APRS. This event has it all!