Forum

Bad Chinese Modules From eBay?  

RSS

long_wave
21/05/2017 5:46 pm  

While it's not possible for me to start on this project until some boards are back in, I was thinking of ordering parts in the meantime, as they take a while to arrive.

My one real apprehension about this project is the possibility of getting bad modules and, there being several modules in this project, the difficulty of troubleshooting to locate the defective unit(s).

Has this been much of a problem for builders?  I've encountered a couple of people who've tried to build these and were never successful in getting them working and was wondering if this could be a probable cause for the failures.

My assembly skills are very good (I used to do it for a living), but I don't have a lot of pricey equipment for complex troubleshooting.

Thanks for any input on this!

ReplyQuote
KB7VML
31/05/2017 5:49 pm  

It can be a bit of a concern, but overall, I found I was still ahead of the game with respect to other vendors/sources.  I had a bad AD9850 DDS (no signal output at all) but I had ordered several for future experimentation.  At less than $10 each (including shipping from China!) the exposure was pretty small.  

Your options (from my perspective) are:

• Order extra components "just in case" you need them and use any left over for experimentation
  • Order what you need knowing that you'll pay more per part to replace if you need one in a short timeframe
  • Order only from domestic suppliers (at a higher cost) knowing that you have a return path to a known seller if needed

In the end, I think it comes down to an individual tolerance for risk, and a personal decision based upon your risk tolerance.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register