Forum

Pro Micro Programming  

RSS

KG5QFN
01/02/2017 9:19 am  

So I posted this and then saw that the Topic was marked solved.  So, I'm re-posting as a new topic so as not to confuse.  I hope this is ok:

Ok, so I'm a complete newby.  I've uploaded the firmware and get the message "Done Uploading".  I assume this is good.  However, the screen would have bright white blocks and did not display any text.

I had got the Pro Micro from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012FOV17O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also bought the LCD from amazon.  Thinking I had the same issue as KB5EZ, I removed the resistors and installed the 10k pot.  No more bright white blocks, but LCD is illuminated with still no text.

I am not 100% certain that I'm uploading the firmware correctly.  I have followed the instructions and all the other forum advice.  I know I have a cheap Chinese board, but should I be using the Leonardo or the Sparkfun board?  My Pro Micro has a solid red and solid green light.

I've done the reset several times and depending on which board I choose, the COM port changes from COM8 (sparkfun) to COM10 (leonardo) for the upload. 

Since this is not a sparkfun, do I need to do the reset twice?  According to the Arduino page: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoLeonardoMicro

I says I can hold down reset and only release when the compiler says uploading.

I've tried both the double reset and the Arduino reset with no issues either way.

One more thing.  As mentioned above, I have a single solid red light and green light when under USB power.  However, I just noticed today that when not plugged into USB an using external power I have 2 solid red lights and single green light on the Pro Micro.  Does this mean anything to anyone?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Russell KG5QFN

ReplyQuote
Chris Horner
01/02/2017 3:05 pm  

That's an odd problem, if the upload seems to work, but the LCD has no display. Have you verified that you have the correct board and type selected in the Arduino IDE (see attached screenshot)? 

Also, once you push the reset button, can you connect the IDE Serial Monitor (CTRL-SHIFT-M in the IDE) and communicate with the analyzer? Once the monitor comes up, type ? and hit enter...if you see some text come back, then you might have a bad LCD module, if not, you may have a problem with the arduino. If it's the arduino, try the recovery instructions at SparkFun; you may have to try the process described there many times before it works.

ReplyQuote
KG5QFN
02/02/2017 7:37 pm  

Thanks for the reply!

So when I connect to the IDE Serial Monitor and type a ? it shows a ?.  Should there be more text or just the ?

I guess that means my LCD is bad?

ReplyQuote
Chris Horner
02/02/2017 8:33 pm  

It should show:

Start Freq:1000000
Stop Freq:30000000
Num Steps:1001

That is not suggests that the arduino is either dead, or hasn't been loaded with the sketch properly. Take a look at the link I shot earlier to try and recover the arduino; be patient and try the described process a number of times before you give up.

ReplyQuote
KG5QFN
06/02/2017 11:59 am  

Thank you!  I was able to get the sketch to load and get the text you show above when I type "?".

However, nothing is currently displaying.  As I mentioned before, I pulled the fixed resistors and put in the 10k pot.  I'm going to try to put in a different LCD now and put the fixed resistors back to see if that works!

ReplyQuote
Chris Horner
06/02/2017 4:17 pm  

Right on, now we know the Arduino is working! Let us know how it goes with the LCD...

ReplyQuote
KD9MY
10/02/2017 12:08 pm  

Okay, got mine build, uploaded the firmware but something glitched.
All I get is random characters on the display.
Now it wont communicate with the IDE software.
Windows does not recognize the device.

Is there some way to totally reset the memory on the arduino?
Holding the reset when powering up shows blocks on the display for about 8 seconds, then it goes to the random characters.

ReplyQuote
KD9MY
10/02/2017 1:20 pm  

Ok, got it working by reading here:

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/pro-micro--fio-v3-hookup-guide/all

ReplyQuote
Dave K
14/02/2017 2:30 pm  

I had a great time building the kit, problem I'm having is loading the sw, I'm totally new to Arduino. I downloaded the IDE from the "360 Work Bench" page, I noticed below that link was another link, the Antenna Analyzer Firmware. I take it that that's the sw needed to be uploaded into the analyzer? Anyways when I click on it, it opens on a web page. How do I get that into the IDE to upload? 

ReplyQuote
Dave K
14/02/2017 10:07 pm  

OK, I made a slight amount of progress, nothing was working so I tried loading one of the example programs,"Blink" and it worked! However I tried the serial monitor with a "?", and had no response. Next I clicked on the firmware link on HR360's web site, and copied the sw and pasted it on the loader, not sure exactly where in the loader to paste it..no luck, I get error messages of "liquid crystal does not name a type" to"definition not allowed here before{ token".. Also I noticed there is no sw in the library, just a read text file.

Any help would be appreciated.

ReplyQuote
G3WIE
15/02/2017 2:02 pm  

Dave K,

For firmware that I have used and confirm works, go here

http://hamradio360.com/community/build-discussion/completed-my-build-and-tweaked-the-firmware-a-bit/

At the bottom of KJ6WEX first post there's a link, click and download a zip file. Unzip that file and put the .ino file into the directory on your PC where the sketches live. You can find that by starting the Arduino IDE, and follow File -> Preferences -> settings.

Within the IDE, select File -> Open, navigate to that .ino file and Click the Open button. The IDE will complain the ino isn't in its own directory and offer to create one and move the ino there.

Repeat the above and navigate into the ino's folder and Open it. The source code will appear in the IDE editor. The button at the top of the IDE with the arrow pointing right will say Upload if you hover over it. Click the button and the code is compiled and loaded (provided your the Arduino's USB/serial port is configured correctly)

Hth

Chris

ReplyQuote
Dave K
15/02/2017 9:33 pm  

Hi Chris,

First of all, thank you for responding! I actually was able to make it work, I'm completely new to this Arduino. The two things I finally figured out was:

1) Could not get the port to recognize the board. Using the "blink LED" example caused it to invoke the correct port.

2) I didn't realize you had to erase everything on the loading screen before you copy and paste the firmware onto the loader.

I downloaded the code you suggested and it works great! So this is a good night for me! Now I'm just seeing what it does, seems like the mode switch doesn't do anything, I see there's a lot of potential to this so I'll be following the forum for updated improvements. By the way I am using a MAC, OS 12 (Sierra). Thank you again.

73's

WA2OXZ

Dave

ReplyQuote
G3WIE
17/02/2017 3:32 pm  

Hi Dave,

Good to hear you've got something going.

With that firmware, the Mode button doesn't do anything, so nothing wrong there. I've made some tweaks to the firmware to change the screen layout, and also speeded up the real-time display* but spent most of the time chasing the reason why the analyser gives SWR answers which get progressively further out as the SWR rises. I haven't reached a conclusion yet...

Chris

* around line 159, change num_steps = 1001 to num_steps = 35. I reckoned that as there are only 35 vertical bars to draw for the displayed graph nothing is gained by calculating the rest.  That's probably a dreadful hack, but it will do for now! Of course it won't work if you have the PC program display running.

ReplyQuote
WB0WQS
17/02/2017 8:36 pm  

Chris,

I am excited to see what you come up with, I've been following the threads on this. Thank you for your work.  73,

Kelly Ellison - WB0WQS

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register